::mrcgp sample questions::June 2005
These questions have been developed in conjunction with onmedica.net, the free portal for doctors.
Write down you answer to each question, then click to see the answers.
1. Regarding Section 2 of the Mental Health Act
2. Regarding Section 2 of the Mental Health Act 1983 (
3. Regarding Section 4 of the Mental Health Act
4. Regarding medical exemptions to prescription charges, which THREE categories of patients are eligible for exemption from prescription charges? Select THREE answers only
5. Regarding Controlled Drugs, which THREE of the following are controlled drugs (marked [CD] in the BNF). Select THREE answers only
6. Regarding controlled drug prescriptions, which TWO of the following statements are true? Select TWO answers only
d. Full handwriting rules do not apply to all controlled drugs
7. Regarding controlled drug [CD] prescriptions, which ONE of the following statements is correct? Select ONE answer only
8. Regarding the laboratory diagnosis of UTI in children, which ONE of the following statements is correct? Select ONE answer only
9. Children aged 1-5 years old that present with a UTI should have an ultrasound and DMSA scan 3-6 months after infection if risk factors are present at time of presentation. Risk factors include which TWO of the following? Select TWO answers only.
a) Lower abdominal pain
b) Loin pain
d) Nocturnal enuresis
10. Regarding investigations in primary care,
b. Serum urate levels
c. Rheumatoid Factor
e. Anti TTG
For each of the following presentations, which laboratory investigation is the MOST useful in aiding diagnosis? You may use each option ONCE, MORE than ONCE, or not at all
10.1 A 45 year old man presents with severe pain and swelling in his left knee. There is no history of trauma, although he does admit a heavy drinking session on the weekend. The knee is warm and tender, although flexion is only mildly reduced.
10.2 A 30 year old woman who is 14 weeks pregnant presents with a three month history of fatigue, intermittent fever and general malaise. This started soon after she became pregnant. She complains of occasional joint pains, and a facial rash after sun exposure.
10.3 A 4 year old boy attends surgery with his mother. She is worried that he has frequent bouts of diarrhoea lasting days to weeks. This has been going on for more than two years, but has got worse more recently. The mother is worried that he is also very small for his age. He is on the 5th centile for height, and the 10th centile for weight.
11. Regarding diabetic retinopathy, which TWO of the following statements are correct? Select TWO answers only
12. Regarding treatment of UTI in pregnancy, which ONE of the following antibiotics is the most suitable? Select ONE answer only
13. Regarding treatment of infections
a. oral flucloxacillin
b. oral erythromycin
c. oral penicillin V
d. topical fucidic acid
e. topical clotrimazole (as a pessary)
f. oral fluconazole one off treatment
g. oral itraconazole
For each of the following patients, select the MOST suitable treatment. You may use each option ONCE, MORE than ONCE, or not at all
13.1 A 22 year old woman on the progestogen only pill presenting with a purulent tonsillitis with swollen glands and fever.
13.2 A 26 year old mother who is breastfeeding presents with vulvovaginal itching and discharge. There is no bleeding. She has not had similar symptoms in the past.
13.3 A 6 year old child presents with a golden coloured, crusting rash made up of several discrete vesicles and bullae on the face. It is itchy, and has begun to spread.
14. Regarding the diagnosis of pathological amenorrhoea (i.e. in the absence of pregnancy and during normal reproductive life), which ONE of the following statements is correct? Select ONE answer only
15. Regarding the causes of pathological amenorrhoea (i.e. in the absence of pregnancy and during normal reproductive life), which THREE of the following can cause amenorrhoea? Select THREE answers only