web gpvts

::Clinical Observership in General Practice::

Generally an overseas junior doctor intending to work in the NHS UK, looks for a clinical observership in hospital (Secondary care). An alternative would be a clinical observership in a General Practice Surgery( Primary care). Dr Shahida Parveen Azeez explains the benefits of early exposure to general practice.

Why observership in a General Practice?

Difficulty in getting the first break: Currently, overseas doctors in UK are facing considerable difficulty in obtaining their first clinical attachment in a Hospital. The reasons range from "non centralised" allotment, lack of networking, huge waiting lists often running up to 2 years at certain hospitals, speciality preference of the junior doctor, and above all the enormous " fee" for clinical attachment in certain hospitals in the UK.

Local Referee: The main advantage of a local UK referee is a quick response to the reference request after shortlisting for jobs.

Economical: Normally General Practice do not charge for observership request. If you land in a General Practice quite close to your residence, you could save money commuting and on rents.

Exposure to Primary Care : Opportunity to understand the grass roots functioning of NHS patient care.

Pre-PLAB2 : Direct experience with consultation skills and exposure to the local accent.

When should one approach a General Practice for observership?

Post PLAB1 : Couple of months before PLAB2.

Post PLAB2 : Try an observership before you embark on a hospital attachment.

How to get your first Clinical Observership with a General Practice?

Curriculum Vitae: Prepare your CV and a covering letter initially requesting an observership for a period of 4 weeks. Book an appointment with the Practice Manager at the desired General Practice to pitch your request.

Internet search:

1) Check the link for the addresses of General practice surgeries in your area.

2) If you are an overseas doctor with an immigration status in UK that allows you to "recourse to public funds", then you should try the - "Clinical Experience Scheme" organised by the London deanery three times a year.

Here click through "International Medical Graduates" --> Overseas Doctor --> Clinical experience scheme.

next - Part 2 2005     design by emedica